Saturday, March 14, 2009

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake

We got a bunch of eggs from my 'father-in-law'. And I've got a pack of cornmeal that I have to use, because it's about to expire. So I thought I'd bake something... I asked T. what he would like. Oh, a chocolate cake, you haven't baked that in a while. Well, indeed I haven't. In fact, I haven't baked one since I'm gluten-free. So it was decided: I had to try baking a gluten-free chocolate cake. I searched for a recipe, found too much delicious-looking-cakes and couldn't chose. In the end, I picked a recipe for a regular chocolate cake that I had marked a long time ago.

It's good. It's chocolate cake, yet gluten-free. But there's room for improvement; the cake still is a bit dry, and I like a chocolate cake that really tastes a lot like gooey chocolate... But hey, it's good and I can eat it, I'm not complaining :-)


Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
• 90g coarsly chopped dark chocolate
• 115g unsalted butter
• 90g dark brown sugar
• 1 Tablespoon dark syrup
• 175g flour / I used 145g cornflour and 30g potato starch
• 25g cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder (GF)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 large eggs (beaten)
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 90ml milk

Preheat the oven to 170°C.
Melt the chocolate, butter, sugar and syrup in a heavy pan (with a thick bottom) on low heat. Make sure you stir frequently. Let it cool slightly.
Sift the flours, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Make a pit in the middle, and pour the mixture into it. Mix it carefully. Then add the eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix it with a wooden spoon, until everything is combined well.
Pour the mixture in a buttered cake mould. Put it in the oven and bake it for 40 minutes or until ready. Make sure you check it frequently.
Let it cool before taking it out of the mould.


Extra note: The cake is still very good after 2 days (kept in the fridge). I find it still very tasty. Also, the cake isn't too heavy. I had a bit for breakfast, and my stomach wasn't upset, even though I normally don't eat such things in the morning.


1 comment:

Calarien said...

Hey, try these brownies: http://www.smulweb.nl/1112488/koken/recept/Brownies-gevuld-met-witte-en-bruine-chocoladestukjes . This is the normal version, only thing I did was that I replaced the flour with rice flour (actually brown rice flour), and they are sooooo delicious! Even my not-glute-free bf and friends really liked them!!