Friday, February 20, 2009

Gluten free Oreo Cookies (Home made, ofcourse !)

Today is my birthday, so I figured I could give myself a treat.

Inspired by this month's theme of "Sugar High Friday", which is "Copycat", chosen and hosted by Palachinka, I made Oreos. Since being gluten-free, I'm in the need of a good chocolate cookie, and this cookie certainly is !















I based myself on this recipe for gluten-free Oreos, but had to adapt it a bit, because I didn't have the right kind of flours...
So here goes my version:

Gluten Free Homemade Oreos

Ingredients:
• 115g butter, room temperature
• 200g sugar
• 1 egg
• 64g potato starch
• 34g buckwheat flour
• 64g rice flour
• 64g dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
• 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (GF)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 175°C.
Beat butter until creamy and smooth.
Add sugar. Cream together.
Add the egg. Beat together again.
In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (the flours, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt).
Add dry ingredients to sugar/egg/butter mixture. Mix together until the dough comes together. This takes a while, but don't worry, just keep mixing.
Cover a baking plate with baking paper.
Pinch the dough off in small bits (teaspoon size) and roll in to a ball. Place them on the parchment paper. Place another (small) piece of parchment paper on top of the ball and press with a flat-bottomed glass to aprox. 5mm thickness. Continue placing balls and flattening them but be sure that the flattened cookies have enough space between them.
Bake the cookies for 8 - 9 minutes. Allow to cool a couple minutes before sliding on to a cooling rack and cooling completely.
Cookies can be eaten as is, stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days or so. Or you can fill them. Which I didn't really do...














Actually I like my chocolate cookies as they are, without cream. But especially for Sugar High Friday, an event created by Jennifer, The Domestic Goddess, I made a couple with a sugary filling. It isn't as butter-y as the real Oreos, but hey, these are my cookies ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! Those look so delicious! Oreos are a childhood favorite of mine as well that I haven't had since going gluten-free.

Just wanted to let you know the announcement for the March theme for Sugar High Fridays has been posted:
http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/announcing-sugar-high-fridays-53-the-test-of-time/

Hope to see you there this month!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you