Sunday, April 25, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

I'm sorry. This recipe is not gluten-free.
Yes, I am sorry, I didn't even taste these myself ! They looked so good..


So, well, why bake not-gluten-free cupcakes ? They were a "Thank You"-gift and I wanted them to be vegan. I have never done vegan-baking before, and I thought vegan ànd gluten-free might be a bit too much. I wanted the cupcakes to be great, so I decided to make them with regular flour. My boyfriend tasted them and said they are fantastic. Chocolat-y and then an aftertaste of almond. And not a bit dry. He described it as eating "cupcake-ice cream" (because of the chocolate icing on top). The person for who I baked these liked them as well.

So my first attempt at baking vegan was a succes. I might try to make them gluten-free... I don't know, it might work :-)
These are very easy, so don't be afraid to try the recipe yourself ! The chocolate icing was a bit sticky, that's not really my thing - but they liked it.


Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients:
• 240ml soy chocolate milk
• 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
• 160g flour
• 150g sugar
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
• shredded chocolate (optional, but it gives a deep chocolate flavour)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 80ml vegetable oil
• some vanilla extract
• some almond extract

Combine the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside to curdle. I left mine for 30min, but 10min should be enough.
Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, chocolate, baking powder and salt.
Add the oil and additional flavours to the curdled soy milk and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and combine.
Fill a cupcake tin or cupcake forms. Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C for about 20min.

Chocolate Fudge Icing

Ingredients:
• 8 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
• 2 tablespoons soy (chocolate) milk
• 1,5 tablespoons margarine
• 0,5 tablespoon light corn syrup (or another syrup)
• some vanilla extract

Mix the sugar, soy milk, margarine and syrup. Bring to a boil for 1 minute. Add the vanilla. Cool and beat until the mixture is of spreading consistency.

No comments: