Monday, July 27, 2009

Picknick (GF)

This is my post for this month's "Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free!". This is a blogging event, started by Naomi Devlin. Each month has a different host and a different theme. July was hosted by Shirley of Gluten Free Easily, and she picked a quite original theme: Make me a happy camper.

Now I'm not really a camper - actually I don't think I have ever gone camping for real. But I do enjoy picknicks. This is the first summer I'm gluten-free and I found it a bit hard to think of little snacks to take with us on a picknick. But I managed. And we had fun :-)


I have to say I look forward to the round-up of this theme. You see, we'll probably go camping next year, and all tips and recipes are welcome, I'm a novice !

Now, what to take to a gluten-free picknick. Ofcourse, lots of vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, corn, ...) and fruit (apple, grapes, pineapple, ...) We also had - let's think - hard boiled eggs, small sausages, rice salad and salmon rolls.


These were a hit. Very easy, and tasty. Just bake some crêpes with buckwheat, spread them with cream cheese (like Philadelphia - I used a variety with herbs), and top with smoked salmon. Roll the crêpes up tightly, et voila.

Buckweat Crêpes

Ingredients:
• 200g buckwheat flour
• some salt (to taste)
• 2 eggs
• 350ml milk

Mix all the ingredients until you get a smooth dough. Bake thin crêpes and let them cool. Spread with toppings of your choice.


My boyfriend really liked the rice salad too. So I'd add a recipe for that too, but actually I just throw some things together...

Rice Salad

Ingredients:
• Cooked rice (I used whole grain rice)
• Paprika (I used yellow and red)
• Corn
• Asparagus
• Apple
• Fried egg
• Brie
• Herbs and dressing to taste

3 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Friedl--Love your picnic photo--nice touch! And, you have three recipes in one here ... nice bonus. :-) The final concoction looks so tasty and healthy. Thanks so much for participating in GAHIGF Make Me A Happy Camper! FYI to others ... entries can still be submitted until midnight tonight--join the fun!

Shirley

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great picnic food! I particularly love those rolls. yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

withoutadornment said...

Those salmon rolls look so good - an interesting but yummy way of using crepes!