Thursday, May 7, 2009

Les Croissants


I made these for my boyfriend, so they are not glutenfree. Perhaps I should try a glutenfree version for myself, but I can survive without croissants, so there's no hurry :-) I just wanted to make him a treat, so I decided to try this. I had never made croissants before. According to my boyfriend they taste just like croissants from a bakkery, although I thought the texture would be a bit more dense or thick. (Rolling out the dough was difficult.) Also, I'm planning on making a surprise-breakfast for my parents on Mother's Day. I hope that works out.

Croissants

Ingredients:
• 1kg flour
• 17g salt
• 70g fresh yeast, or 23g instant yeast
• 420ml milk
• 2 eggs
• 60g sugar
• 60g butter
• 350g butter
• Makes about 30 croissants

Dissolve the yeast and the eggs in cold milk. Add 2/3 of the flour and mix. Add sugar, salt, 60g butter and the rest of the flour. Let it rest for 30 minutes. Knead the dough until it's elastic. Cover in plastic foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough and make a large rectangle of 50 x 20 cm. Knead the rest of the butter with your hands until soft, and spread it over 2/3 of the width. Fold the 'dry' 1/3 to the middle, then fold the buttered 1/3 to the middle. Turn the 'packet' a quarter, roll out lightly, and form a new rectangle. Picture yourself 4 parts; fold both ends to the middle, then fold it like a book. Again turn it a quarter, roll out to a rectangle and fold it like you did the first time: 3 parts; fold one piece to the middle, then fold the other piece to the middle. Wrap the package in plastic foil and put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Roll out the dough to a rectangle of 2,5 mm thick. Cut bands of 20 cm. Make triangles with a base of 12 cm. Roll them up from base to top. Put the 'croissants' on a baking plate and let them rise for 60 minutes. Bake them in a preheated oven at 220°C, for about 10 - 15 minutes.

No comments: